Tuesday 4 September 2012

Pretty Twisted by Gina Blaxill



Summary

Ros has a secret crush on Jonathan. Jonathan is massively hung up on Freya (even after she dumps him). And Freya? Well, Freya is a beautiful enigma. Even more so when she goes missing without a trace . . . PRETTY TWISTED is narrated in alternating chapters by Jonathan (16) and Ros (14) who meet online at a time when things are going sour for Jonathan. His stunning girlfriend, Freya, is away at college and they are growing apart - consequently, he is struggling with his own sense of identity. Ros is also experiencing some problems - one of her friends is dating an older man whose strange behaviour gives Ros cause for concern. Meanwhile, the local news has been reporting some kidnappings of teenage girls. So when Freya dumps Jonathan, then seems to disappear off the face of the earth, he enlists Ros' (somewhat reluctant) help in tracking down the girl he still loves. With danger lurking around every corner, their stories become inextricably linked in a way nobody could have predicted . . .


Paperback, 275 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Macmillan Children's Books 
  
 My Review

Well, this was definitely a different read for me! The storyline is very intriguing, once you start reading you will find it very hard to put down. But oh my goodness, talk about being confused, the start of the book was a bit of a head pickler but once you get a grasp on who is who and the storyline stops jumping from past to present so much it will end up being a highly addictive read. Another thing that bugged me a little was the amount text talk used throughout the book, maybe I'm just not with the times, lol! I loved the characters they were very out there, quirky and lots of fun to get to know. I really enjoyed that this was written in part from a male perspective, which is always a refreshing change in the young adult genre. The title fits perfectly as there is so many twists and turns that you really won't know what to expect next. I was racing to the end to find out what was going to happen, so this is definitely a real page turner.

Jono and Ros met by chance on the Internet, Ros is a 14 year old school girl and Jono is a 16 year old collage student who has a girlfriend called Freya. When they first start chatting they never could of possibly imagined that their lives would become so entwined in such a frightening way!

When Freya goes missing after she splits up with Jono, all fingers point towards him as the prime suspect. There is another missing girl and a body found in the surrounding area and it would seem the police would like to pin that on Jono too. So he asks Ros for her help to try and find Freya, to try and get the police off his back. But when the pair meet things start to come together and pieces of the puzzle start to fit into place, with shocking results. How could 2 people who have never met face to face before manage to become so molded together?

Well the ending is fantastic, I absolutely loved how everything slotted into place so seamlessly! I really wasn't in the know, I had everybody down as the suspect and I kept chopping and changing my mind throughout. So overall Pretty Twisted is a thrilling page turner that will keep you guessing right up till the end.

3/5 Stars

*Special thanks to Macmillan for the review copy*

Carly :)



6 comments:

  1. Great review, Carly! I hadn't heard of this until recently when I found a copy at a book sale and now you have me really excited to read it. I like the sound of the mystery and the way it all came together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a book that keeps you guessing until the end! I'll definitely keep my eye out for this one, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the synopsis of this. But it's such a shame it was so confusing!I also know what you mean with Freya and Jono. It sounds very unrealistic that they could be so [as you say] molded after only meeting once.

    But I'm still captivated by the wonderful synopsis! And I'm glad the ending was exciting. Lovely review, Carly.(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh a male perspective? I will have to check this out! Don't worry, I'm not a fan of overuse of text talk in books either. ;) Still, this sounds pretty good. Great review, Carly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of this one. Might have to check this out....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love the idea of this one. Sounds like an awesome thriller. I haven't heard of this one either but now I am itching to check it out. I am not a fan of text speak either! I know that part will irritate me!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me lovely people! :)